Animal lovers who are interested in lending their time and talents as an Animal Humane Society volunteer must complete a four-step process. The process is the same for both in-shelter and foster volunteer applicants.
Step 1: Please watch this video before completing your volunteer application. Some of the topics covered in the video will be discussed during your volunteer interview.
Step 2: Submit your application.
Step 3: After you’ve completed the application, you’ll be instructed to schedule a virtual interview with a Volunteer Services Coordinator.
Step 4: Attend your virtual interview. Our Volunteer Services Team will contact you shortly after to discuss next steps.
Volunteer roles at AHS
AHS is looking for two individuals to support our transport efforts by transferring animals from out-of-state shelter partners back to Minnesota where they have a better chance of being adopted or can receive specialized treatment.
- Volunteers will be partnered with an AHS staff member for each trip.
- Volunteers must be able to lift up to 50 pounds on their own.
- This role is primarily a loading and driving role. Once animals are loaded onto the vans, transport back to AHS is non-stop, except for very short breaks.
- Individuals in this role must have a clean driving record, be able to drive or sit in an AHS cargo van comfortably for approximately 36 hours round-trip, including overnight, with only limited, short stops.
- Trips will include a short hotel stay near the source site before loading and returning to AHS. Hotel and daily food allowances are provided by AHS.
- Volunteers will transport once per month.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required.
Curious what a day looks like for an AHS transport driver? Read more.
If you're interested in this unique volunteer opportunity, or if you have any questions, please contact us now.
Due to the number of applicants we're currently in the process of interviewing and onboarding, applications for foster volunteers are closed. We hope to reopen applications in the coming months. Thank you for your patience!
Due to the high number of applications we're currently processing, we are no longer accepting new applicants. We hope to reopen applications in the coming months. Thank you for your patience!
Animal Humane Society depends on thousands of volunteers each year to help us provide quality care to animals in need. However, we are unable to accommodate volunteer groups in our shelters.
Your group can support our work and the animals in our care by coordinating and participating in offsite group service projects (like making toys, collecting and donating items from our “wish list,” or holding a fundraiser).