Research shows reading can have a calming effect on animals. Rescue Readers — a one-hour reading program where young students come to the shelter and read to the animals in our adoption centers — provides soothing company to dogs, cats, and critters as they await adoption. And as a bonus, students gain confidence and improve their reading skills!
Participants first complete an orientation session where they’ll learn about AHS and the Rescue Readers program. After orientation, they can sign up for scheduled one-hour reading sessions. Readers can choose to spend the entire hour with one animal or divide their time among multiple animals.
AHS will provide books to read and blankets to sit on, but readers may also bring their favorite books from home. Every student will also receive a special Rescue Readers bookmark, reading log, and certificate.
The cost of the Rescue Readers orientation is $15, and each hour-long reading session is $10. Registration covers the cost for one reader and one parent or guardian. The parent or guardian is expected to be present with their child for the entirety of the program. We are unable to accommodate unregistered siblings at orientation or reading sessions and up to two readers may read with one parent (no exceptions).
Rescue Readers is available at all four AHS locations and for readers ages 6 and up!
Rescue Readers orientation
Orientations are one hour and 45 minutes in length.
- Sunday, July 29, 1:30 p.m.
- Sunday, August 26, 2 p.m.
- Sunday, September 30, 2 p.m.
- Sunday, July 29, 9 a.m.
Sunday, August 12, 9 a.m.
Sunday, August 26, 9 a.m.
Saturday, September 8, 9 a.m.
Friday, September 28, 6 p.m.
- Saturday, August 11, 2 p.m.
- Saturday, September 22, 2 p.m.
- Saturday, July 21, 2 p.m.
Saturday, August 25, 9 a.m.
Sunday, September 16, 9 a.m.
Rescue Readers sessions
Reading sessions are one hour in length.
- Friday, July 27, 10:00 a.m.
- Saturday, August 11, 10:30 a.m.
- Saturday, September 8, 2 p.m.
- Friday, September 21, 6:30 p.m.
- Saturday, July 28, 2 p.m.
Sunday, August 12, 2 p.m.FULL Friday, August 17, 10 a.m.FULL
- Saturday, August 18, 10 a.m.
Saturday, August 25, 2 p.m.FULL
- Monday, September 10, 4:30 p.m.
- Friday, September 14, 6:30 p.m.
- Saturday, September 15, 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, September 25, 6:30 p.m.
- Saturday, September 29, 2:30 p.m.
Saturday, July 21, 9 a.m. FULL
Wednesday, July 25, 2:30 p.m.
Saturday, August 4, 8 a.m.
Saturday, August 18, 2 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 18, 6:30 p.m.
- Sunday, September 30, 9 a.m.
- Saturday, July 28, 10:30 a.m.
- Saturday, August 4, 10:30 a.m.
- Saturday, September 22, 10:30 a.m.
- Monday, September 24, 4:30 p.m.