Research shows reading can have a calming effect on animals. Rescue Readers — a one-hour reading program where young students come to the shelter and read to the animals in our adoption centers — provides soothing company to dogs, cats, and critters as they await adoption. And as a bonus, students gain confidence and improve their reading skills!
Participants first complete an orientation session where they’ll learn about AHS and the Rescue Readers program. After orientation, they can sign up for scheduled one-hour reading sessions. Readers can choose to spend the entire hour with one animal or divide their time among multiple animals.
Rescue Readers orientation dates:
Friday, April 7, 6 p.m. - 7:45 p.m. FULL
Saturday, April 22, 9 a.m. - 10:45 a.m. FULL
Sunday, March 19, 9 a.m. – 10:45 a.m. FULL
Saturday, April 8, 9 a.m. – 10:45 a.m. FULL
Saturday, May 13, 9 a.m. – 10:45 a.m. FULL*
- Saturday, June 3, 9:00a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
- Sunday, June 11, 9:00 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
*Additional orientation dates coming soon!
AHS will provide books to read and blankets to sit on, but readers may also bring their favorite books from home.
Every student will also receive a special Rescue Readers bookmark, reading log, and certificate.
The cost of the Rescue Readers orientation is $15, and each hour-long reading session is $10. Registration covers the cost for one reader and one parent or guardian*. The parent or guardian is expected to be present with their child(ren) for the entirety of the program. This program is for children age 6+ and currently only offered at our Golden Valley location.
*We are unable to accomodate group scheduling at this time.
Rescue Readers dates:
- Friday, March 24, 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, March 27, 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday, April 1, 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, April 11, 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday, April 15, 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Monday, April 17, 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 26, 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, May 8, 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday, May 14, 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, May 23, 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday, June 10, 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Sunday, June 18th, 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.