Volunteer with AHS
From in-shelter support to at-home foster care, volunteers support every facet of our work. Together, we're creating a more humane world for animals.
Volunteers must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 16 years of age. If you are younger than 16, there are other ways to get involved.
- Commit to one year of volunteering. In-shelter opportunities require a minimum of one regularly scheduled, recurring shift every other week. Shifts are 2-4 hours depending on assignment.
- Read and comprehend detailed policy and protocol information and remember and follow shelter rules.
- Communicate professionally. Human interaction is a requirement of all volunteer roles.
- Understand and fulfill all responsibilities of their role independently.
- Be able to physically fulfill the duties of their volunteer role. Most volunteer roles require volunteers to stand, and/or walk for up to three hours; lift and carry up to 20 pounds; reach and lift; possess vision abilities including close vision, distance vision and depth perception; talk to customers, employees, and other volunteers.
Group volunteer opportunities
Groups can support our work and the animals in our care by coordinating and participating in offsite group service projects (like making toys, collecting and donating items from our “wish list,” or holding a fundraiser). Learn more about group volunteering at AHS.
We do not accept volunteers performing court-ordered community service.Questions? See our Volunteer FAQ.
Current volunteers log in here.
Access the Learning Lab here.