- Volunteers must be at least 16 years of age. If you're younger than 16, there are other ways to get involved.
- AHS requires a one-year commitment to volunteering. In-shelter opportunities require a minimum of one regularly scheduled, recurring shift every other week. Shifts are 2-4 hours depending on assignment.
- Volunteers must read and comprehend detailed policy and protocol information and remember and follow shelter rules.
- Human interaction is a requirement of all volunteer roles. Volunteers must always communicate professionally.
- Volunteers must understand and fulfill all responsibilities of their role independently.
- Most volunteer roles require volunteers to stand, and/or walk for up to three hours; lift and carry up to 20 pounds; reach and lift; possess vision abilities including close vision, distance vision and depth perception; and speak to customers, employees, and other volunteers.