Research shows reading can have a calming effect on animals. Rescue Readers — a one-hour reading program where young students come to the shelter and read to the animals in our adoption centers — provides soothing company to dogs, cats, and critters as they await adoption. And as a bonus, students gain confidence and improve their reading skills!
Participants first complete an orientation session where they’ll learn about AHS and the Rescue Readers program. After orientation, they can sign up for scheduled one-hour reading sessions. Readers can choose to spend the entire hour with one animal or divide their time among multiple animals.
Upcoming orientation dates and locations
- Saturday, August 26, 9-10:45 a.m., Golden Valley
- Saturday, September 2, 2-3:45 p.m., Woodbury
- Sunday, September 3, 9-10:45 a.m., Coon Rapids
- Saturday, September 9, 9-10:45 a.m., Golden Valley
- Saturday, September 16, 9-10:45 a.m., Coon Rapids
- Sunday, September 17, 9-10:45 a.m., Woodbury
AHS will provide books to read and blankets to sit on, but readers may also bring their favorite books from home. Every student will also receive a special Rescue Readers bookmark, reading log, and certificate.
The cost of the Rescue Readers orientation is $15, and each hour-long reading session is $10. Registration covers the cost for one reader and one parent or guardian. The parent or guardian is expected to be present with their child for the entirety of the program. We are unable to accommodate unregistered siblings at orientation or reading sessions.
Rescue Readers is currently available at our Golden Valley, Woodbury, and Coon Rapids locations and will expand to St. Paul in 2018.
We are unable to accommodate group scheduling at this time.
Upcoming Rescue Readers sessions
- Monday, September 11, 4:30-5:30 p.m., Woodbury
Wednesday, September 13, 4:30-5:30 p.m., Golden ValleyFULL
- Thursday, September 21, 4:30-5:30 p.m., Golden Valley
- Sunday, September 24, 9-10:00 a.m., Woodbury
- Friday, September 29, 4:30-5:30 p.m., Coon Rapids