Animal Humane Society is looking for two individuals to support our transport efforts by transferring animals from out-of-state shelter partners back to Minnesota where they have a better chance of being adopted or can receive specialized treatment.
What is transport?
AHS works with organizations across the country to transport animals from areas where shelters and rescues are overpopulated and over capacity with the number of animals needing new homes. Transport programs help create space so these shelters can focus their resources on the remaining animals in their care.
In a typical year, more than 8,500 animals from local and national rescue transport partners are brought to AHS in search of a new home.
Although some animals are brought to Minnesota by other rescue groups or organizations, AHS also sends its own transport team directly to source shelters. Volunteers who fill the transport volunteer role will be working directly with the transport team to ensure animals' journey to Minnesota is comfortable and safe.
Important details about the transport volunteer position
- Volunteers will be partnered with an AHS staff member for each trip.
- Volunteers must be able to lift up to 50 pounds on their own.
- This role is primarily a loading and driving role. Once animals are loaded onto the vans, transport back to AHS is non-stop, except for very short breaks.
- Individuals in this role must have a clean driving record, be able to drive or sit in an AHS cargo van comfortably for approximately 36 hours round-trip, including overnight, with only limited, short stops.
- Trips will include a short hotel stay near the source site before loading and returning to AHS. Hotel and daily food allowances are provided by AHS.
- Volunteers will transport once per month.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required.
Curious what a day looks like for an AHS transport driver? Read more.
Interested in dedicating your time to helping animals in need?
If you're interested in this unique volunteer opportunity, or if you have any questions, please contact us now.