Entry-level volunteer roles currently available in Golden Valley:
- Animal care
- Surgical prep
- Vet Center
Weekday, daytime shifts are available for these roles. There are no evening or weekend shifts open at this time.
No experience necessary, new volunteers welcomed! For full details about each role, please see the role descriptions below.
Shift availability changes frequently, we aren't able to guarantee a specific requested shift. We can work with volunteers to find a schedule that works for the volunteer based on shelter needs.
Adoption Support volunteers help customers connect with and learn about animals in our care to make good adoption matches. By using shelter technology including tablets and computers, volunteers give customers animal health and behavior histories and set up visitations. If there is down time, volunteers socialize with the animals to keep them happy and healthy.
- Cat Adoption Support: Volunteers work in the cat area, help customers with cats, and clicker train cats.
- Dog Adoption Support: Volunteers work in the dog kennels, help customers with dogs, and socialize with the dogs.
Volunteers provide dogs with bathroom breaks, exercise, and socialization.
Animal Care Assistant Volunteer
Volunteers help provide basic care needs for animals, including maintaining clean, comfortable housing areas and upkeep of laundry and dishes. Volunteers also help provide enrichment for our animals who aren't ready for adoption yet.
Training Support Volunteer
Assist our trainers as they instruct owners on teaching good behavior and manners to their pets. Well behaved pets are more likely to stay in their homes and less likely to end up in the shelter system. Our classes have a fun and upbeat atmosphere, using only positive reinforcement techniques! No experience required. This role requires a weekly commitment.
Animal Humane Society Veterinary Centers Volunteer
Volunteers prepare materials for surgery and help care for animals during recovery. This supportive role helps provide high-quality, low-cost spay/neuter services for pets of people in need. Animal Humane Society Veterinary Center in Golden Valley is only open for weekday, daytime shifts.
Surgical Prep Assistant
Volunteers prepare materials for surgery and help care for animals during recovery. This supportive role helps us efficiently spay/neuter the thousands of animals who come to Animal Humane Society each year.
Add-On Volunteer Roles
Add-on volunteer roles are additional tasks for current volunteers who are looking for ways to become more involved. These tasks are occasional, on an as-needed basis.
- Rabbit Pawfiler: Volunteers evaluate the personalities of rabbits waiting for adoption based on their behavior and interactions with their environment and people. This information helps potential customers make informed decisions when adopting a rabbit. No prior rabbit experience necessary. Training provided.
- Outside Agency Transfer Puppy Bather: Volunteers bathe puppies that have been transferred from other shelters to help keep them healthy and clean. Volunteers are called upon when the need arises.
Advanced Volunteer Roles
Current AHS volunteers can be considered for advanced roles once they have successfully acquired 36 hours of volunteer experience.
- Dog Habitat: Volunteers help manage customer interactions and group play in our new dog group housing prototype!
- Exam Assistant: Volunteers assist Vet Services staff with the process of making sure each animal is medically ready for adoption.