Most volunteer opportunities are available during open hours, Monday through Friday 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Volunteers must meet all of the following requirements:
- Be at least 16 years of age. If you are younger than 16, there are other ways to get involved. Learn about opportunities for people under the age of 16.
- Be able to commit to one year of volunteering. In-shelter opportunities require a minimum of one regularly scheduled, recurring shift every other week. Shifts are 2-4 hours depending on assignment.
- Understand and accept Animal Humane Society’s philosophies regarding open admissions and humane euthanasia.
- Communicate professionally, as human interaction is a requirement of all volunteer roles.
- Understand and fulfill all responsibilities of their role independently
- Read and comprehend detailed policy and protocol information as well as being able to remember and follow shelter rules
- Be able to physically fulfill the duties of their volunteer role. Most volunteer roles require volunteers to: be able to stand, and/or walk for up to 3 hours; be able to lift and carry up to 20 lbs.; be able to reach and lift; possess vision abilities including close vision, distance vision and depth perception; be able to talk to customers, employees and other volunteers.
- Be able to hear, see and interpret animal behavior and body language.
- With a positive attitude, emotionally manage a workplace that can be stressful.