Property owners and managers
There can be benefits to establishing pet-friendly guidelines for your property. There are many responsible, clean, and respectful renters looking for pet-friendly housing. Because they must search harder for a place to live, pet caregivers are more likely to stay put. Lower vacancy rates mean lower costs and fewer headaches for you.
Post your pet-friendly housing *
Questions for people with any kind of pet
- What type of pet do you have?
- How long have you owned your pet?
- Do you have a letter of recommendation and current records from your veterinarian stating that your pet is in good health and up-to-date on its vaccinations?
- Where is your pet housed during the day? At night?
- Has your pet ever displayed aggressive tendencies towards people or other pets?
- Do you have a written reference for your pet from your current property owner/manager?
- Have there been any complaints about your pet at your current address? How did you resolve them?
- Did your pet cause any damage at your current address? If so, did you reimburse your property owner/manager for the damage?
- Does your pet have any medical or behavioral problems? If so, what treatment or training is it receiving?
- May I contact your current property owner/manager to further discuss your pet?
- Would you object to my visiting you and your pet after you move in to see how your pet is adjusting?
- Who will care for your pet when you are on vacation or away on business?
- Has your pet been spayed or neutered?
- Is your pet licensed?
- Does your pet wear identification?
For people with cats
- Does your cat go outside?
- Does your cat use the litterbox that you provide?
For people with dogs
- Do you keep your dog on a leash when you go for walks?
- Have you and your dog completed any training classes? If so, which ones?
- Do you kennel or crate your dog?
- Do you always make a point of immediately cleaning up after your dog?
- Is your dog housetrained?
- How much time does your dog spend alone each day?
- How often do you exercise your dog?
* Information provided by other organizations, including links to external websites, does not constitute endorsement by Animal Humane Society of the opinions, information, products or services of that organization