Community Outreach FAQ

Animal Humane Society's Community Outreach program works to connect pet owners to the resources they need to provide their animals with happy, healthy lives. 

Below are some frequently asked questions about the outreach program. 

Who qualifies for outreach assistance?

Our Community Outreach program currently serves residents of Frogtown, north end and the east side of St. Paul. The program started with the assistance of a grant which limited us to these areas. 

Outreach Boundaries
What is spay/neuter surgery?

Spay surgeries, also called ovariohysterectomies, are performed on female animals. The operation removes the ovaries, fallopian tubes and uterus of the animal. After a spay surgery, the animal will no longer go through heat cycles or be able to get pregnant.

Neuter surgeries, also called orchiectomies, are performed on male animals, removing the testes. After a neuter surgery, the animal will no longer be able to impregnate a female animal, and will lose the desire to do so.

There are multiple health and behavior benefits for dogs, cats and rabbits. Learn more about spay/neuter surgery benefits.

Sterilization surgeries result in small scars that heal fairly quickly. Pain medications are given (orally for dogs, internally for cats) for the healing process. The recovery is short and simple for most animals, with the incision site healing completely within two weeks. You should keep an eye on your pet’s incision site during the two weeks following their surgery. Read more about post-op care.

How do I get my animal spayed or neutered?

If you live within our service boundaries, fill out this request form to get started. After we receive your information, a staff member will contact you.

If you don't live within our service boundaries, we recommend using our veterinary center in Golden Valley as a low-cost option.

Effective August 1, 2018: So we can continue to offer services within existing boundaries while expanding to new areas, Frogtown and East St. Paul residents will be asked to share the cost of the surgery by paying $25 (only a third of the total cost to provide these services).

My pet needs a medical exam and vaccines. What do I do?

Every year, the Community Outreach team hosts 3-5 wellness clinics for residents of Frogtown and the east side of St Paul. At these clinics, we provide free vaccines and wellness exams. If you're interested in learning more about our next clinic, please call 651-788-4685.  

​​​​​​If you aren't a resident of Frogtown or East St. Paul, or there isn't a clinic in the near future, we encourage you to visit our low-cost veterinary center in Golden Valley.

I have a pet medical emergency. Can AHS help me?

​​​​​​Unfortunately, AHS isn't equipped to provide emergency veterinary services. Please contact your local animal hospital for a pet emergency or find emergency services that work for you.

How can I get food for my pet?

We offer one gallon bags of dog and cat food at a number of locations in Frogtown and East St. Paul. Click here to see the schedule of food distributions.

You can also follow us on Facebook, for regular updates on upcoming events.

What clinics provide low-cost medical care for pets?

See if you qualify for Animal Humane Society Veterinary Centers, located in Golden Valley. Or, find other low-cost options in the metro area.

How can I get training assistance for my pet?

We offer many pet behavior resources. Including, free behavior assistance over the phone through our Behavior Helpline. Request behavior help online by completing this form

For additional pet behavior resources and to learn more about what we offer, call the Community Outreach staff at 651-788-4685. 

Can I get a license for my dog?

We offer free, first-time city licenses for St. Paul dogs who are spayed/neutered and up to date on their rabies vaccines. Licenses are also provided along with the spay/neuter surgery package. Please call us at 651-788-4685 to make a request.

St. Paul dogs that do not fit our qualifications can get licenses through Animal Control by calling 651-266-1100.

For caring, compassionate advice and resources to address all your animal concerns.

Contact the Pet Helpline