October 19, 2018
Morning frost, falling leaves, blue skies, and picture-perfect hiking trails. Fall is undoubtedly here, and so is pumpkin season!
We humans know just how delicious pumpkin treats are — now share some with your pup. These tasty, homemade dog treats are packed with healthy, natural ingredients, plus they're human-friendly, too! Pumpkin is full of good nutrients that support overall health and can help your dog stay regular and lose weight.
This recipe is super easy to whip together and the batter can be used in a variety of ways. Freeze it, stuff it in a Kong, or smear it all over your bathtub walls while bathing your dog — whatever works best for you and your pup!
Pumpkin treat recipe
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1 apple
- 2/3 cup oats
- 6 tablespoons peanut butter
- 6 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- about 1 tablespoon honey
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Peel the apple and slice it, removing the core. Make sure all the apple seeds are removed.
- Dice the apple in the small pieces. We sliced the apple in about quarter inch pieces, then cut them in half length-wise, before dicing into small cubes.
- Add all ingredients into a medium mixing bowl. When adding the honey, use your discretion. Don't add too much as too much honey can irritate your dog's digestive system.
- Mix everything together.
- Divide batter into an ice cube tray, create small, treat-sized balls, or stuff the batter into a Kong.
- Place the treats into the freezer overnight.
- Give to your dog to enjoy!
Ginger, our official taste-tester, thoroughly enjoyed the treat! She got a taste of the batter and kept begging for more. In fact, she liked it so much, she ate the entire plate of frozen treats when her mom wasn't looking.