Keep your pet safe from toxic plants

Dog and flowers

While we humans love all sorts of plants, caring for them inside our homes or in outdoor gardens, some aren’t safe for our furry friends. Plants and pets don’t always mix — certain plants can harm or even kill them. All pets are different. Some may ignore plants while others think everything is food. While your dog, cat, or critter may not show interest in eating vegetation, it’s always good to know how to keep your pets safe and healthy.

Toxic plants

Below are a few common plants and the symptoms to look for if your furry friend snacks on it.

Pothos

Pothos plant

Pothos

Pothos plants are easy to keep around the house and their leafy, green vines brighten up any room. But be sure to keep them out of reach from your dogs and cats.

If your pet eats any part of a pothos plant, it could cause irritation of the mouth, lips, and tongue, difficulty breathing, excessive drooling, or foaming at the mouth.

Hydrangea

Hydrangea flowers

Hydrangea

Hydrangeas bring a pop of color to any yard, but did you know they can cause vomiting, diarrhea, or even depression in both cats and dogs?

Eating any part of the hydrangea plant is toxic for your pet, so be mindful of keeping them in your yard or letting your pet get too friendly with them.

Daisy

Daisy flowers

Daisy

Like hydrangeas, daisies are also harmful to cats and dogs. This popular flower can cause vomiting, diarrhea, depression, or rashes if any part of the plant is eaten.

You can bring them inside to brighten up a kitchen table or bedside stand, just be sure to keep daisies out of reach from your pet.

Poinsettia

Poinsettia flower

Poinsettia

It may come as no surprise to cat owners to see this common winter flower on the list, but it’s also toxic to dogs. That said, the toxicity is often overstated, as only the leaves of the plant are harmful.

If eaten, poinsettia leaves can cause irritation to the mouth and stomach, as well as vomiting. 

Mushrooms

Mushrooms

Mushrooms

For those who love mushrooms, this fungi adds something special to meals. On the other hand, they can be incredibly dangerous to pets.

Mushrooms can cause vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, lethargy, jaundice, incoordination, seizures, and even a coma. While not all mushrooms are toxic, it's always a good idea to determine if the mushrooms in your kitchen (or outside in your lawn) are safe for your cat or dog.

For more information, including a longer list of plants to beware of, check out our handy guide on toxic plants. If your pet does eat a toxic plant or you're unsure about what they ate, call your veterinarian.

For caring, compassionate advice and resources to address all your animal concerns.

Contact the Pet Helpline