If the Minnesota State Fair has taught us anything, it's that everything tastes better on a stick! And while our furry best friends can't partake in the annual tradition, we have just the thing to bring the spirit of the State Fair home to them: frozen dog treats on a stick.
Animal Humane Society partnered with NellieBellie to bring you these nutritious and fun treats. Made from yogurt and pumpkin, these refreshing homemade treats will make your dog go crazy.
Make up a batch of these dog popsicles for a cool treat in the summer or keep them in the freezer all year long!
Frozen treat recipe
- 1 cup 100% pumpkin
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt, plain, unsweetened (amount may vary depending on the molds you choose to use)
- Treat sticks such as Pup-Peroni (break them to fit the size of the mold you choose to use)
- Line the bottom and sides of your mold with Greek yogurt. Be sure the coating is fairly thick so that it will be strong enough.
- Combine pumpkin and peanut butter. Drop a spoonful of this mixture into the center of the mold. How much you use depends on the size of the mold.
- Gently press the pumpkin mixture down to allow the mold to be level.
- Press a treat stick into the mold either from the top (if using cups) or from the side (if using popsicle molds).
- Freeze for several hours.
- Gently pull the treats out of the molds and treat your pup, or save in an air-tight container for later.
Tip: to make these treats even faster simply mix yogurt, peanut butter, and pumpkin together and press into molds. No need to line the mold first! It won’t look as exciting but we doubt your dog cares too much.
Looking for more homemade treat ideas?
Or check out this holiday cookie recipe. With a calming ingredient, it'll help manage your pet's anxiety or stress.