Personally find the pet’s owners
If you choose to keep a lost animal in your care:
Check the animal for identification.
- If there is an ID tag, contact the owner immediately.
- If there is not an ID tag, consider taking the animal to a local veterinary office to be scanned for a microchip.
Let your community know about your new friend.
- Tell your family, friends and neighbors. Post notices around your neighborhood.
- Post information on the animal to the Found Pets Bulletin Board.
- Post reports on other online resources:
Check your local newspaper for lost pet reports.
When the owner is found, remember to remove any notices you’ve posted around your neighborhood and online.
If at any time you’d like to bring the animal into Animal Humane Society, please call our Pet Helpline at 952-HELP-PET (952-435-7738). During the call, please let us know that if you’ve also posted the pet to our online bulletin board.