Crafts projects for the animals
You can help the animals at AHS feel more at home while they're in the shelters with a few easy crafts projects.
Make toys to entertain cats. Decorate empty plastic eggs or ping pong balls with permanent makers. These simple rolling toys are popular entertainment for cats.
Make rice pack heating pads for animals recovering from surgery.
- One five-pound bag of white rice (might not all be used)
- A 12-inch square piece of material. (cotton preferred, but old sheets, pillow cases, or flannel work, too)
- A sewing machine or a needle
- Fold the material in half with right sides together and sew two of the sides so that three sides are closed and one smaller end is left open. In other words, if it is folded, sew the bottom and the long side so that it becomes a tube that is roughly 12 inches by six inches with one six-inch side open.
- Turn inside out so that the rough ends are hidden.
- Fill the tube with rice until it is about 2/3 full.
- Fold the remaining side in so that the rough ends are hidden and sew closed.
Donated items can be brought to the customer service counter at any AHS location during regular business hours; no appointment is necessary. Groups are also welcome to schedule a tour of one of our facilities at the time they bring in their donations.