While our adoption centers remain closed to the public, we’re now doing adoption by appointment for a limited selection of animals. We appreciate your patience as we adjust to this new, temporary process.
Face covering and health screening requirements
Animal Humane Society is committed to the health and well-being of the community we serve. To help protect one another, every person inside an AHS building is required to wear face coverings and practice social distancing. We are also checking temperatures using a contactless thermometer and asking staff and visitors to an answer the following questions:
- Do you have a new cough, sore throat, or shortness of breath that you cannot attribute to another health condition?
- Are you experiencing new muscle aches that you cannot attribute to another health condition, or that may have been caused by a specific activity (such as physical exercise)?
- Have you had close contact (6 feet or less for 15 minutes or more) with anyone who has COVID-19 symptoms or is seeking a COVID-19 medical diagnosis?
- Will anything prevent you from following our temperature check, social distancing, handwashing, and face covering requirements while you are at AHS?
If you answer yes to any of these questions or have a temperature of 100.4°F or higher, we will ask you to return at another time.
1. Search our adoption listing for animals currently available for adoption.
2. Complete an adoption interest form. If you see an animal you wish to adopt, complete an adoption interest form by clicking the large blue “I want to adopt…” button on the animal’s profile page.
3. Wait for a phone call or email. AHS adoption staff will review interest forms on a first come, first served basis. We'll call interested adopters in the order forms were received, likely the following day. If you don’t answer or are no longer interested in adopting, we'll move on to the next entry.
During this phone call, we'll determine if an animal is a good match for you and your household. We’ll also discuss the animal’s medical history, the adoption contract, and any pet supplies you may need. Expect this conversation to take 30-45 minutes.
If an animal you are interested in is no longer available for adoption, we will contact you by email. Due to the volume of calls we're receiving, we are unable to provide additional updates on the status of interest forms.
4. Place the animal on hold and schedule an adoption appointment. If you decide you're interested in adopting the animal, we’ll complete the adoption paperwork and place the animal on hold for you over the phone. We’ll ask you to pay a nonrefundable $25 adoption hold fee that will be applied toward the full price of adoption. We'll then schedule a time for you to meet and briefly visit with the animal ― giving you a chance to ensure it's a good fit ― and then bring home your new pet! If you would like to postpone adoption, you will be charged an extended hold fee at the time of adoption.
Your adoption appointment must be scheduled and completed by close of business the day after your adoption phone call.
Once your adoption appointment is scheduled, we'll begin to prepare the animal to go home with you, along with any supplies you may need (including food, toys, treats, litter boxes, and leashes).
5. Complete the adoption and pick up your new pet. You'll receive instructions on visitation and pick-up during the adoption phone call. When you arrive, call us from your car. Your animal will be ready to meet you. If you decide to finalize the adoption, we’ll complete the process and help you with any supplies you need. NOTE: You must wear a face mask during your visit to AHS.
Questions about your interest form?
After you've submitted an adoption interest form, you will receive either a phone call or email from AHS staff within the following 48 hours. Due to the volume of calls we're receiving, we are unable to provide additional updates on your interest form's status.
Sometimes things don't work out as planned ― and that's ok! While this temporary process is in place, AHS will provide a full adoption refund if you schedule a return appointment within the first seven days. After that, our standard 60-day return policy will apply.
To schedule an adoption return appointment, please call our Pet Helpline at 952-435-7738.
Post-adoption medical care
When you adopt an animal at AHS, you'll receive a medical history report listing vaccinations, medications, and procedures your new pet received during its stay in our shelters. Read more about what kind of medical support AHS can provide after adoption.