Main Navigation

Injured or orphaned woodchucks (groundhogs)

If the woodchuck has an obvious injury, is bleeding, feels cold or looks sick, or the animal is attempting to move away but is falling over or circling, this animal needs immediate help. Please review our Emergency Care information.

It is illegal to keep a wild animal as a pet. These animals should always be returned to the original location where they were found. Contact a wildlife rehabilitator, wildlife facility, or a wildlife veterinarian as soon as possible. Do not keep the animal at your home longer than necessary. Get the animal professional help as soon as possible.

Animal Humane Society's Golden Valley location provides care for all wild animals except skunks. We will provide phone advice for skunk situations. Please bring your wild animal directly to the Golden Valley location. If you need further advice or assistance you may call the Wildlife Exam at (763) 489-2223.